8 tomatoes (ripe, Roma plum, chopped)
2 garlic clove (minced)
1/2 red onion (chopped)
6 basil leaves (fresh)
2 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin)
salt (optional, to taste)
pepper (optional, to taste)
1 loaf French bread (Italian or, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly
ground black pepper, to taste (optional). Set aside.
3. Arrange bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake about 5 to 7 minutes until it begins to
4. Remove bread from oven and transfer to a serving platter.
5. Serve the tomato mixture in a bowl with a serving spoon and let everyone help themselves.
Or place some on each slice of bread before serving. If adding the tomato mixture yourself, add
it at the last
minute or the bread may become soggy.